Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Raspberry Layer Cake with Buttercream Frosting

How amazing was Dancing with the Stars last night?  I've always loved Disney movies so I was super excited about the Disney theme last night!  Last night's episode was probably my favorite episode ever!!  Plus, my favorite star, Candace Cameron Bure, is safe another week!!!
 
 
Now let's talk cake!  It's Sweet Tooth Tuesday time!!! :)  I'm actually surprised Luke hasn't complained about the desserts I've made recently since none of them have involved chocolate.  He's actually really enjoyed the fruity desserts I've been making, but I'm sure he's more than ready for a new chocolate dessert.  He loves chocolate!
 
This week I made a raspberry layer cake.  It is a perfect dessert for spring!  Once again, I used the help of a box cake mix but as I've mentioned before, I don't see anything wrong with taking short cuts every now and then.  I love baking from scratch but like most women, I don't always have the time for that.
 
  Honestly, this cake didn't quite go according to plan.  I had planned on making mini layer cakes but my cookie cutter was not deep enough to cut into the cakes so I had to do a regular layer cake.  Oh well, next time I'll make sure I have a cookie cutter that can cut through the cakes because I'm determined to make some cute mini layer cakes. ;) 
 
 
 
1 box Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
3 egg whites
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Smucker's Red Raspberry Jam
 
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray 2 round cake pans with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, egg whites, water and vegetable oil.  Pour the batter into the 2 greased baking dishes.  Bake in the 325 degree oven for 16-21 minutes.  Set aside to cool.  Once cooled, spread the raspberry jam on top of one of the cakes but don't spread the jam all the way to the edge because you don't want the jam to spill over when you put the other cake on top. 
 
 
After spreading the jam, place the other cake on top of the jam.
 
 
Frosting:
 
1 cup butter/margarine (2 sticks)
4 tsp. milk
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup fresh raspberries
 
In a large bowl, beat the butter/margarine.  Then add the confectioners sugar and milk.  Mix until smooth and combined.  Spoon the icing on the top of the cake and slowly spread the icing down the sides of the cake until the entire cake is iced.  Last, decorate the cake with the fresh raspberries.
 
 
 


0 comments:

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List