Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patty's Day Cake Pops

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Yesterday morning, it occurred to me that today was St. Patrick's Day.  The day just snuck up on me, but I had to do something to recognize St. Patrick's Day.  While I was trying to figure what I was going to make, I starting thinking back to a weekend we spent in Savannah, Georgia a long time ago.

When I was about eight or nine years old, I was in the Girl Scouts.  My Girl Scout troop spent a weekend in Savannah so we could learn more about this history of the Girl Scouts and tour the house of the Girl Scouts founder, Juliette Gordon Low.  It was St. Patrick's Day weekend.

I had never seen St. Patrick's Day the way I saw it in Savannah.  All of the lines in the street were painted green, the water in all of the fountains were green and the adults walking around downtown Savannah were drinking green beer.  It was fascinating to all of us!

One of my lifelong friends decided to walk around and balance on the edge of one of the fountains.  I also need to add she was wearing all white (white wind suit, white socks and white tennis shoes).  Several of the chaperones told her she needed to get down but she wasn't having it so she continued.  The next thing we knew, there was a green splash.  She'd fallen in and when she climbed out, her entire white outfit was a pale green.  She had to walk through the street of Savannah back to the hotel in her wet, newly green clothes.  I laugh every time I think about that.  My friend is such a great person and a great sport so I know if she's reading this, she's laughing as hard as I am typing this.  ;)

For St. Patrick's Day, I decided to make St. Patty's Day Cake Pops.  The cake pop recipe is actually my mom's recipe.  She started making red velvet cake pops and brownie pops years before it became popular.  My mom is such creative cook!!

 
 
This recipe makes 32 cake pops.
 
1 box yellow cake mix
1 8oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1 lb. vanilla flavored almond bark, melted
Green food coloring
Cake Pop sticks

Follow the instructions on the cake mix box and bake accordingly.  Allow the cake to cool.  Cut off the edges of the cake because the edges are too crisp to use.  Then remove the center of the cake from the pan and put into a bowl.  You want the cake to still be warm when you add the cream cheese.  Mix the cake and cream cheese together with your hands.  Pinch off bite size pieces and roll into balls.  Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.


Place in the freezer for about an hour.  Melt the vanilla flavored almond bark.  Once melted, pour in a few drops of green food coloring and stir.  Dip on end of the cake pop stick into the melted almond bark and press the end of the stick into the center of the cake pops.  ***Don't push the sticks all the way through the cake pops.***


Place the cake pops back into the freezer for a couple more minutes to make sure they're still cold and holding together.  Then dips the balls into the almond bark and set to dry.  I cut holes into an empty egg carton and put the ends of the cake pops into the holes so they would stand upright and dry smoothly.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

1 comments:

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List