Monday, January 6, 2014

Roasted Brocolli & Cheese Soup-2 times

So I decided to make some soup because it's cold outside.  I On Saturday night we were going to have some soup due to nasty cold weather.  We got home from church a little too late so we decided to cook it on Sunday.  This was one of the better broccoli and cheese soups I have had.  Since one recipe called for a little bacon I decided that I would make a pot for myself and a pot for Jamie so that we would have leftovers for lunch.  I'll call the Bacon Version BBBC soup (bacon, bourbon, broccoli, cheese soup). 

Thank you to Closet Cooking in helping us warming up our cold winter days. With the bacon version I changed it up a bit but for the exact recipe here it is.  http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/03/broccoli-and-cheddar-soup.html

So lets get started...

Preheat the oven at 400 degrees....
I used 1 head/bunch of Broccoli and cut them into bite size pieces and mixed with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Bake broccoli in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees.  While you roast the broccoli, chop a medium onion....

You will want to sautee the onion for about 5-6 minutes... If you are using bacon, I would leave enough grease to sautee the onion. If you have some drippings in the bottom of the pan, just add some bourbon to the pan to deglaze   If you are making it without the bacon, use olive oil to sautee the onion. Once almost completed with the sautee of the onion chop up a clove or two of garlic.  Mince finely and drop that along with a tablespoon or more of chopped thyme in the pot.  Cook for about a minute or until you smell the aroma.

Add 3 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock to the soup.  I used chicken stock with the Bacon version for mine and vegetable stock for Jamie's.  Add the roasted broccoli and bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 min.  Then puree the soup (leaving a few chunks of broccoli for texture).  Once pureed, add cheese (I used Sharpe Cheddar Cheese), about 2 cups or so... I like A LOT of cheese so if you want your soup thick, then just throw it in.

I then added about 6-8 oz of milk and then a tablespoon of ground mustard (which is option).  I topped the Bacon version with bacon.  Jamie added some crackers but a nice baguette or a piece of bread will go a long way.

For the Bacon Recipe: Get 3 or 4 pieces of Bacon and fry it up... Crumble/chop it up however you like you bacon.

The Bacon Version...


The Veggie Version...


0 comments:

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List