Friday, January 10, 2014

Chocolate Meringue Pie...delicious!

My grandmother (my Memaw) doesn't want a cake on her birthday...she wants Chocolate Meringue Pie.  I have to say, this pie is DELICIOUS!!

My Memaw's birthday is on New Year's Day.  My mom usually hosts my Memaw's birthday dinner, but I hosted her birthday dinner this year so it was my turn to make the delicious pie.  This is one pie you've got to try! :)


Chocolate pie filling:
3 tablespoons cocoa
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 eggs, separated
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 baked pie shell

Melt butter over low heat and then add the cocoa.  Whisk until the cocoa dissolves.  Once dissolved, whisk in the flour and sugar.  Separate the eggs (reserving the eggs whites for the meringue), beat the egg yokes and then whisk into the mixture quickly (so the eggs don't scramble).  Slowly add the milk and vanilla extract while continuing to whisk.  Turn the heat up to medium heat and whisk the mixture constantly until the chocolate thickens.  Once thickened, remove from heat.  Let it cool and then pour the chocolate into the baked pie crust.

Meringue:
3 eggs whites
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
A pinch of cream of tartar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
A splash of white vinegar  (the white vinegar helps prevent the meringue from shrinking)

Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy.  Continue beating the mixture while slowing adding the sugar.  Beat until soft peaks form and the sugar is dissolved.  Stir in vanilla extract and the white vinegar. .  Spread the meringue over the pie.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the meringue is light brown.  Let cool before serving.  I actually like to refrigerate the pie overnight before serving to make sure it's set.

I hope you enjoy the Chocolate Meringue Pie as much as we did!!

0 comments:

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List