Monday, January 20, 2014

A Chocolate Lovers Dream Cake - Triple Chocolate Cake with Caramel Icing

As I've mentioned, Luke has a major sweet tooth!  Sunday afternoons are usually when I bake.  I find baking to be very therapeutic.  There's something about baking that always makes me feel better...even when I don't eat whatever I've baked.

Yesterday, I wasn't planning on baking anything because I'd spent the day running around, but Luke asked me to "please bake something".  So I made it easy on myself and used Betty Crocker Super Moist Triple Chocolate Fudge cake mix, and I must say, it's delicious!  I added Heath English Toffee Bits to the cake mix.  YUM!

Triple Fudge Cake  

I beat the 1 1/4 cups water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 3 eggs into the cake mix as instructed on the cake box, and then stirred in about 3/4 cup of Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips and a bag of the Heath English Toffee Bits.  I poured the mixture into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish and then baked the cake as instructed on the box.

While the cake cooled, I started on the caramel icing.

Caramel Icing:

1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Start by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Then whisk in the brown sugar.  Once incorporated, add milk and continue whisking until it comes to a boil.  Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool.  Once cooled, pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla extract.  Beat until combined.

I got the idea for this icing from the cooks.com website.  I added a little more of some of the ingredients to make it the way I wanted it to taste for this cake.

This is a thin icing but it's delicious.  It runs down the side of the cake...close enough to the way Luke wanted it.  He actually asked me to poke holes into the cake and then pour the icing over it.  I told him that wasn't necessary. ;)

This is how it turned out!




So YUMMY!!!

0 comments:

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List