Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Favorite Blueberry Muffins

I used to follow every step to every recipe I tried and if I didn't like it, I just didn't make it again.  Over the years, I've learned I can take a recipe and change it until I like it.  These days it's actually very rare for me to follow a recipe exactly as it's written. 

The first recipe I took apart and made my own was a Sunny Anderson muffin recipe. I made her recipe a couple of times but decided there were some things I wanted to change.  Her recipe called for strawberries, bananas, blueberries and nutmeg with only a pinch of cinnamon.    

First I decided to eliminate the strawberries and bananas because I thought there was just too much going on in those muffins.   With those gone, I liked the muffins better but I still wasn't completely happy with the recipe.  The flavor of the nutmeg was too strong so I decided to add more cinnamon and less nutmeg.  It took me a couple of attempts to figure out the right amount of cinnamon but now the recipe is exactly the way I want it. 

This recipe is one of my favorites not only because the muffins are delicious but also because this recipe made me realize how much I love to cook, bake and create new foods.  I hope you all enjoy my blueberry muffins as much as I do! :)




This recipe makes 12 muffins.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 tsp. raw sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Make sure you spray the muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, canola oil, and sugar together.

Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.  Using a mixer, mix the ingredients until combined.  Then fold in the blueberries and walnuts.

Using an ice cream scoop, drop the batter into the muffin tin.  I sprinkle raw sugar over the top of each muffin before putting them in the oven.  The raw sugar creates a crust on top of the muffins which I think perfects the recipe. ;)

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.


Do you have any recipes that are special to you?  I'd love to hear about them! :)
 

0 comments:

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List