Monday, March 31, 2014

Homemade Granola Bars

Granola bars are such a great breakfast or snack.  I usually snack on almonds throughout the day but this week I decided granola bars would be a nice change for me so I made Giada's Chewy Granola Bars from her cookbook "Giada's Feel Good Food".  I actually followed the recipe and only made minor changes to it, and the granola bars turned out perfect!



The recipe called for 1/3 cup of raisins, 1/3 cup of dried cranberries and 6 dried apricots.  I'm not a huge fan of raisins so I added extra dried cranberries and I doubled the amount of dried apricots because I love apricots.  The recipe also calls for chopped almonds but I used sliced almonds instead.

3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
12 dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Then place tin foil or parchment paper into the baking dish and spray the tin foil or parchment paper with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk the honey, grapeseed oil, egg whites and vanilla extract until blended.  In a separate bowl, whisk the oats, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.  Then pour into the honey mixture.  Stir until combined.  Then add the almonds, walnuts, dried apricots and cranberries into the mixture and stir until combined.  Pour the mixture into your baking dish and spread the mixture with a spatula. 

Bake for about 35 minutes. 

Cool for about 30 minutes before removing the tin foil or parchment paper from the baking dish.  Then cut into squares.

This makes about 15 - 20 granola bars.




0 comments:

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List