Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pineapple Casserole - Two Ways

Luke and I made a pineapple casserole to go with the ham on Easter Sunday.  While we were making it, my dad came into the kitchen and asked us what we were using for the topping.  I told him we were topping the casserole with shredded cheddar cheese and crushed Ritz crackers which is the way my Aunt Claire makes her pineapple casserole.  My dad said "you should top it with crushed Marshmallow Crispy Oreos".  Then he added "Now that would be good!"  I had to remind him the Oreos wouldn't go good with the ham but he just gave me a look that said I didn't know what I was talking about.  I didn't bother saying anything else so my dad left the room. 
 
When Luke and I were almost done with the casserole, my dad came back into the kitchen and said, "I still think you need to top it with crushed Marshmallow Crispy Oreos".  I just looked at him and then it occurred to me that we could make two small casseroles instead of one big casserole.  So I told my dad that we'd make one of each and his response was "the one with the Oreos will be the better one of the two".  I told him that if he was right, Luke would take all of the credit for it and say it was his idea because that's what Luke does. ;)
 
My dad was right, the Oreo topped pineapple casserole was delicious but it's definitely a dessert.  You don't want to eat that one with your ham!  
 
This is how you make the 2 pineapple casseroles...
 
2 20 oz. cans crushed pineapple, juice reserved
2 sticks butter/margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 egg whites
5 tbsp. all-purpose flour 
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray your 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Drain and reserve the pineapple juice.  Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.  Then add the eggs and egg whites.  Once combined, add the reserved pineapple juice and flour and continue mixing until combined.  Then stir in the crushed pineapple.  Next pour the pineapple mixture into your greased baking dish.
 
For the Ritz topping:
 
Crush 2 sleeves of Ritz Crackers (about 70 crackers).  Sprinkle 2/3 shredded cheddar cheese over the pineapple mixture and then pour the crushed Ritz Crackers over the cheese.  Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
 
This is a picture of the Ritz topped pineapple casserole.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a picture of the Oreo topped casserole.
 
 
For the Oreo topping:
 
Crush 2 rows of Marshmallow Crispy Oreos (about 20 Oreos).  Then sprinkle over the pineapple mixture.  Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
 
If you want to make both recipes, use two 8 x 8 baking dishes and divide the pineapple mixture between the two dishes and half each of the recipes for the toppings (for the Ritz topping, use one sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers and 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese and for the Oreo topping, use one row of crushed Marshmallow Crispy Oreos).

0 comments:

About

About

Social Icons

Archive title

Archive title

Blog Archive

Followers title

Followers title

Followers

Google Followers title

Google Followers title

Show Stopper

Simply Gloria

My Blog List